While the main focus of a job interview is on the position itself and the skills required to be successful, interviewing is not a simple task. Every company has their own unique interviewing style and sometimes, no matter how much research you do, you can’t prepare for every question. Each industry has its oddball questions, and the tech industry is no exception.
Sometimes an interview will have one or two questions that seem outside of the industry norm and provide the opportunity for the candidate’s personality to show through. They provide a glimpse into the quirks of a company’s culture. Below are some of oddball interview questions that have been used in technical interviews:
- If you woke up and had 2,500 unread emails and could only answer 300 of them, how would you determine which ones to answer?
- What’s your favorite 90s jam?
- If you were a pizza deliveryman, how would you benefit from scissors?
- How much would you charge to wash every window in Chicago?
- Why is the earth round?
- How many gas stations are in America?
- If there are 25 swimmers and the pool has five lanes, what is the minimum number of heats to find the three fastest in the competition?
- How many square feet of pizza are eaten in the US each year?
- How many people flew out of Los Angeles last year?
- If you were on an island and could only bring four things, what would you bring?
- What would you do if you were the only survivor of the plane crash?
- If you were a cartoon character, which would you be?
- Why shouldn’t I hire you?
- What’s your least favorite thing about humanity?
- What’s the last gift you gave someone?
- How would you use the internet to find the number of businesses in the US?
- How many snow shovels were sold in the US last year?
- Explain the Internet.
- You have a 1-mile long x 1-mile wide private island that you want to turn into a resort. If a plane needs a 2-mile runway to take off, how do you make the resort a reality?
How would you answer these questions? What is the weirdest, non-industry related question you have ever answered in an interview?